End-of-Life of CCleaner for Windows v5
With the release of CCleaner V6.00 in May 2022, the CCleaner V5.xx series for Windows was no longer supported, sold, or maintained; with free users and paid customers provided with a free update to the latest version of CCleaner 6.
CCleaner V5.00 was released in November 2014 and received 102 updates (an average of over 13 per year) until its final version, CCleaner V5.92, released in April 2022.
This technology is now obsolete and is entering End of Life (EoL). All customers will soon need to upgrade to at least CCleaner 6.01 to continue to use CCleaner on Windows computers.
CCleaner for Windows is updated every few weeks with the latest set of cleaning rules; for compatibility with the latest changes to the Windows operating system, web browsers and other software; and various other performance improvements and enhancements. You can check the release history over the past 3 years here: https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/version-history
We only support the latest release of CCleaner and recommend that you always stay up-to-date with the latest version of CCleaner via automatic updates. If you continue to use a version of CCleaner that is more than 3 releases and/or 3 months old, you will likely notice a degradation in cleaning performance which can be solved by with a free update to the latest version.
- Customers with unexpired CCleaner Professional subscriptions using versions of CCleaner for Windows prior to v6.00 do not have access to the full set of CCleaner Professional features, such as Performance Optimizer (released in CCleaner 6.00), Driver Updater (released in CCleaner 5.82) or the full functionality of Health Check (released in CCleaner 5.64).
- Due to changes in the way that web browsers store cookies and temp files, versions of CCleaner prior to 5.89 (released January 2022) are no longer cleaning browsers or providing privacy protection via cookie cleaning.
- Free versions of CCleaner prior to 5.74 (released November 2020) do not have access to Automatic Updates, previously a paid-only feature.
- Due to changes is the way that Windows stores temporary files, versions of CCleaner prior to 5.46 (released 30 August 2018) should not be used at all on Windows 10 (1510) or above.
How to Update to CCleaner for Windows v6
Customers on free and paid versions of CCleaner for Windows 5.74 and above who have automatic updates switched on will automatically receive the latest version of CCleaner shortly after each release. If you are not on the latest version of CCleaner, please be sure to switch on automatic updates by going to Options > Updates in CCleaner and selecting "Keep CCleaner updated automatically".
If you are having troubles updating your copy of CCleaner, you can download the latest version:
- Download the latest version of CCleaner Professional for Windows (licence key required)
- Download the latest version of CCleaner Free for Windows
Additionally, to ensure that all of our customers continue to have a functioning version of CCleaner, as of April 2023 we will start to push updates to CCleaner for Windows v5 users to get them onto the latest version.
End of Life of Legacy Licensing System
Licenses originally issued for CCleaner Professional and CCleaner Professional Plus 5.44 (released 26 June 2018) and prior are not supported past the end of their maintenance agreement - 12 months from the date of purchase unless subsequently extended.
Although we had previously "grandfathered" in ongoing use of these licences (albeit without any of the newer features of CCleaner Professional), as the system that manages these "legacy" licenses is also being End-of-Lifed, these licences will also shortly cease to function.